FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Liquid Keratin was founded in 2008 on a mission to find a better alternative to control un-manageable frizzy hair than the popular, yet toxic, and dangerous treatments that were being offered. Liquid Keratin was the first and still is the only simple, completely safe at home and salon keratin treatment that is free of harsh chemicals.
Liquid Keratin’s at 60 Day Straighter, Smoother, Stronger & Longer Home Treatment is a patented, revolutionary, formaldehyde free, safe, easy to use, at home keratin hair treatment that tames unwanted frizz, loosens curl, smoothes and softens hair texture, adds shine, and keeps hair manageable and healthy for as long as 60 days with just one application.
The below are the most frequently asked questions:
What is Keratin?
- Keratin is a protein and the major component in skin, hair and nails. In fact, the hair strand is comprised of up to 95% of Keratin hair proteins Keratin acts both as an external protective protein in the cuticle (the outer layers of a hair strand) and as an internal structural protein in the cortex (the inner core of the hair that helps determine its strength).
What is a Keratin smoothing treatment?
- A keratin smoothing treatment seals the hair cuticle with a coating of protein that eliminates frizz, and adds softness and shine. Before the treatment, the hair must be thoroughly shampooed to strip any oils and product residue.
How does Liquid Keratin work?
- Liquid Keratin infuses curly, frizzy unmanageable hair with the keratin protein that it is naturally missing.
What is unique about Liquid Keratin Smoothing Treatment?
- The patented formula and innovative technology of our Liquid Keratin Smoothing Treatment binds keratin to the hair. This process helps prevent humidity from penetrating the hair, thus locking out frizz. Liquid Keratin is the original Custom Smoothing Treatment...de-frizz, smooth and straighten or keep the curl. Liquid Keratin is the only fragrance and scent free keratin treatment in the world.
Does Liquid Keratin treatment have harsh chemicals including Formaldehyde?
-Liquid Keratin treatments do not contain any harsh chemicals and are fragrance-free! Liquid Keratinproducts are:
- Formaldehyde Free
- Aldehyde Free
- Relaxer Free
- Thio Free
- Sodium Hydroxide Free
- Guanidine Free
Can Liquid Keratin be used on color treated or highlighted hair?
- Liquid Keratin is safe to use on color treated hair. However, as with all hair treatments, we recommend performing a strand test in a discreet location prior to application,particularly if you have light colored hair or if your hair has been bleached and/or chemically altered. For best results, apply the Liquid Keratin treatment 1-2 weeks prior to your color treatment.
Will Liquid Keratin make my hair brassy?
- The Liquid Keratin Treatment binds to specific amino acids found in hair keratin. People with higher levels of these types of amino acids in their hair are at risk and have the potential to develop a change of color. Less than 1% of customers will experience this type of change in their hair color. As with any hair treatment, Liquid Keratin recommends performing a strand test in a discreet location prior to application, particularly if you have blond, light colored and/or chemically altered hair. Any change in color will happen immediately upon applying the iron.
How often can I apply Liquid Keratin?
- Liquid Keratin can be used as often as you like during regular styling and in between full treatments. We do recommend, however, performing a full treatment every 4 – 6 weeks or when you feel your hair can use it. The Liquid Keratin Aftercare products (shampoo, conditioner and leave in) are key in prolonging the process. They are specially formulated without Sodium Chloride. Sodium Chloride, which is in a lot of hair care products, will diminish the effects of the Liquid Keratin Treatment very quickly.
How long can Liquid Keratin results last?
- Home Treatment of Liquid Keratins results can last up to 60 days.
- Salon Professional Treatment can last between 10 and 16 weeks.
Liquid Keratin Aftercare products (shampoo, conditioner and leave in) are key in prolonging the process. They are specially formulated without Sodium Chloride. Sodium Chloride, which is in a lot of hair care products, will diminish the effects of the Liquid Keratin Treatment very quickly.
Can Liquid Keratin be applied to previously relaxed hair?
- Liquid Keratin is safe to use on previously relaxed hair. It will eliminate any frizz and will nourish the hair returning it to a healthy state.
How many uses can I get from one 4oz bottle of Liquid Keratin 60 Day Treatment?
- On average, you can get between 2-3 applications with the Liquid Keratin Treatment. The amount of applications really depends on the length and thickness of your hair.
How does Keratin get depleted and why should you replace it?
- Keratin is depleted when hair is damaged physically, chemically and/or from environmental factors, such as the sun. This keratin loss exposes the hair’s cortex, making it susceptible to additional damage, and causes porous spots to develop—much like potholes in a road. Replenishing lost keratin helps to correct porosity and smooth the hair’s surface. It restores strength and elasticity, giving the hair a more youthful, healthy appearance.
Can I use Liquid Keratin if I’m nursing?
- Liquid Keratin is safe, but it is always best to consult with your physician. All of our ingredients are posted.
Can Liquid Keratin be used on African American hair?
- Liquid Keratin Treatment can be used on African American hair. Liquid Keratin will loosen the curl and tame unwanted frizz for up to 30 days with only one application. Liquid Keratin will also help make hair softer and tangle free. Hair can either be worn curly with no frizz or hair straight with very little styling required.
Does Liquid Keratin have a thermal protectant?
- Yes, Liquid Keratin contains an ingredient that helps protect your hair from the heat of a flat iron.
Do I have to use a flat iron?
- For the initial application, you must use a flat iron at high heat (420-450 degrees) for best results and wear your hair straight for 48 hours. The high heat of the flat iron helps seal the keratin to your hair shaft. Liquid Keratin contains a thermal protectant ingredient that will protect your hair from the heat of the iron.
Will the Chlorine from a pool affect my results?
- Liquid Keratin is washed out more rapidly by sodium chloride and chlorine. Sodium chloride (salt) is in sea water and chlorine is in most swimming pools and spas.
Shop for Liquid Keratin